Friday, July 16, 2010

Adventures in Wool

I am absolutely in love with dyeing roving.




~


I joined a sock KAL that follows the book, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo


It has become one of my all time favorite series.




~


I decided it would be super cool to make my own colors according to the book cover, but I had never done any dyeing before.


So here we go!



~



I unwound the roving to get ready for the soak.





~


First you have to soak your roving in hot water mixed with vinegar.


For at least 30 minutes.





~



After soaking, I used these directions.

http://keeponknittinginthefreeworld.blogspot.com/2006/11/wiltons-icing-gel-dying-tutorial.html




~



I somewhat strayed from the directions, but still used the main concept. I think if I swirled the roving in a pan or large bowl, and then added the coloring, it might have come out a bit differently.


I used a turkey baster to get the colors right.




~



I had put the roving in a bowl at first but freaked out when the colors started to blend too much.


I then placed it in a large pie dish and re-squirted some of the yellow on.




~




Time to Cook!


It was microwaved on high for 2 minutes.




~

Then let it rest for 2 minutes and repeated until the water was clear and soaked up. Watching all the while in case in started to felt.

In total, it took about 6 minutes.



~


Steaming hot after being taken out, I let it sit on my faucet for a minute.



At this point, I had thought the colors didn't take.





~

But it turned out EXACTLY as I wanted.



If I had done the colors any differently, I don't think I would have gotten the neon effect that I needed.



~




Totally in love with the colors! It sooooo matches the book cover.





~



I can not wait to spin it up into some soft sock yarn!


Here is the link for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo KAL




http://www.ravelry.com/groups/dragon-knitalong




Happy Happy Dance!!!!!!!!




2 comments:

lilpixieknits said...

I can't wait to see the end result!

ÅB Design said...

Really fun that you love Stieg Larsson´s books..Iam probably a disgraese from Sweden ,because I haven´t read them or seen the movies yet,hehe..BUT I WILL..hehe..I LOVE yor shawls!!=)